Annual Fire Safety Statements (AFSS), NSW
Wormald Fire Protection Consultancy Services
Wormald service teams are industry leaders in testing, maintaining and repairing fire protection systems. With specific expertise in building maintenance and safety, Wormald can provide Annual Assessments, BCA Assessments and Fire Upgrade Assessments.
Regular inspection and maintenance of fire protection systems is important as it is required by law in most circumstances, e.g. Section 166, NSW Environmental Planning & Assessment Regulations (2000).
Wormald can assess key fire safety measures within a building such as:
- Access panels, doors and hoppers to fire-resisting shafts
- Automatic fail-safe devices
- Automatic fire detection and alarm systems
- Automatic fire suppression systems
- Emergency lighting
- Emergency Warning and Intercommunication Systems (EWIS)
- Exit signs
- Fire control centres and rooms
- Fire doors
- Fire hydrant systems
- Fire seals protecting openings in fire resisting components of the building
- Fire shutters
- Fire windows
- Fire hose reel systems
- Lightweight construction
- Perimeter vehicle access for emergency vehicles
- Portable fire extinguishers
- Safety curtains in proscenium openings
- Smoke and heat vents
- Smoke detectors and heat detectors
- Solid core doors
- Standby power systems
- Wall-wetting sprinkler and drencher systems
- Warning and operational signs
- Paths of travel to exits
Owners Annual Fire Safety Assessment
Where applicable, the law requires building owners to engage a qualified person to assess fire safety measures in buildings each year. If the inspection is not performed properly by a Competent Fire Safety Practitioner (CFSP), the building owner may be held liable. Engaging of Wormald's CFSP's for the assessment satisfies this obligation.
For example, the NSW Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulations (2000) require building owners to submit an Annual Fire Safety Statement to the local council and fire brigade.
What is the Annual Fire Safety Statement?
An Annual Fire Safety Statement when issued certifies that:
- Each essential fire safety measure in the building has been assessed by a properly qualified person
- Each essential fire safety measure in the building was found to be capable of performing to a standard no less than that to which the measure was originally or subsequently designed and implemented.
- The CFSP has assessed all paths of travel to the exits including the exit doors, and advised of the status, in connection with the NSW Environmental Planning & Assessment Regulations (2000), at the time of the inspection.
Comprehensive fire safety assessment
Wormald CFSP's determine when the fire safety measures were installed in your building and research the performance standards that was applicable at the time (not today’s standards).
The inspection identifies whether:
- the fire systems listed on council’s schedule exist on your premises, and are correctly listed by council
- the fire systems can perform to the relevant Australian Standards and legislation
- changes to building structure or use effect fire system performance
- the fire equipment is correctly located and has no obvious damage
- the routine inspection, testing and servicing is being performed and any defects found have been rectified
- the status of the paths of travel to the exits including the exit doors, in connection with the relevant state regulations.
A detailed report, including photos is prepared.
- identifies fire measures and their relevant standards
- reports on the measures’ capacity to perform to their relevant standards
- recognises relevant issues in respect to paths of travel to the exits
- identifies and classifies any defects
- includes a Fire Safety Statement prepared for the building owner.
About Wormald’s Engineering and Assessments team
Wormald’s Engineering & Assessments team was formally established in 2000.
Our team of consultants is engaged full time to carry out an array of fire safety assessments. Our projects range from single residential strata buildings to multiple highly complex buildings.
With comprehensive industry experience, technical backing and proven track record, we make sure we are always up to date and informed of legislative requirements. We focus on our customer’s needs and expectations in order to deliver our products in a timely and professional manner.
Our experienced staff deal with complex issues / systems and ensure all matters arising are dealt with accurately and professionally. We liaise with all our clients in a professional and friendly manner and have the ability to work in occupied locations without interruptions of staff.
Other consultancy services offered include BCA assessments, fire systems assessment and contractor co-ordination in obtaining Annual Essential Safety Measures Reports and Annual Fire Safety Statements.
Click here for a full list of Wormald CFSPs
For information on the NSW Fire Safety Reforms, please view our blog article here.